Under the authority of an Inspector-General, the Inspectorate-General of Education shall be responsible for:
- outlining research programmes;
- ensuring the coordination, Supervision and follow-up of activities assigned to Inspectorates of Pedagogy;
- ensuring the follow-up of the activities of structures in charge of examinations;
- ensuring the control and evaluation of Cameroon's system of education;
- ensuring the constant adaptation of pedagogy to the progress of science;
- ensuring the application of Government policy on the textbook and other instructional material;
- relations in research and training programmes; and
- designing in-service training programmes and the Distance Training of Teachers.
It shall comprise:
- a Teachers' Resource Center;
- Inspectorates of Pedagogy; and
- a Control Brigade for Private Secondary Eduçational Schools.
THE TEACHERS' RESOURCE UNIT
Under the authority of a Unit Head, the Teachers’ Resource Unit shall be responsible for:
- implementating of research programmes;
- relations in the search for training programmes; and
- promoting and publishing research results.
Besides the Unit head, it shall comprise 4 (four) Assistant Research Officers.
INSPECTORATES OF PEDAGOGY
Under the authority of Pedagogic Inspectors, Inspectorates of Pedagogy shall be responsible for:
- outlining and developing curricula and methods of teaching the various subjects;
- ensuring the follow-up, control and constant evaluation of curricula, teachers, textbooks and instructional material;
- pedagogic surveys in Provincial Delegations;
- outlining pedagogic research programmes;
- ensuring the follow-up and evaluation of the Distance Training of teachers; the follow-up of the in-service training of teachers, in conjunction with the Department of Human Resources;
- compiling of lesson of notes;
- writing semester reports of evaluation of educational activities;
- polishing and checking examination questions, in conjunction with Regional Inspectorates of Pedagogy;
- giving technical advice on the pre-service training of teachers, and pedagogic supervision officials; and
- giving technical advice on the proposal of examiners, supervisors and moderators or official examinations, in conjunction with the structures in charge of examination
They shall be as follows:
- the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for the Promotion of Bilingualism: It shall promote English in francophone secondary schools and teacher training Colleges, and French in Anglophone schools of the same level;
- the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for theTertiary Sciences and Technology of the Sector;
- the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for the teaching of Letters, Arts and Foreign Languages (French, English, German, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese);
- the inspectorate of Pedagogy for industrial Technical Education;
- the inspectorate of Pedagogy for Social Sciences: History, Geography, Civics, Philosophy, Morals;
- the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for the teaching the Sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Elementary Physics, Biology, Geology, Environmental Sciences, Hygiene and Biotechnical sciences;
- the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for Technical and Teacher Education; the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for Computer Sciences (Computer Literacy, Infographic, Computer Maintenance).
Each Inspectorate of Pedagogy shall have 2 (two) to 3 (three) National Pedagogic Inspectors per subject or group of Subjects.
The Inspectorate of Pedagogy for the Tertiary Sciençes and Technology of the Sector and the Inspectorate of Pedagogy for Industrial Technical Education shall have 3 (three) Sections headed each by a National Coordinating Pedagogic inspector.
Each under the authority of a Pedagogic Inspector, the Inspectorates of Pedagogy provided for under 9 (2) above shall be responsible for supervising and coordinating the activities of National pedagogic Inspectors.
The Inspectorate of Pedagogy for the Tertiary Sciences and Technology of the Sector shall comprise:
- the Section for Economic Science and Techniques and Management (Accounts and Finance, Economic and social Sciences, Insurance, Financial Mathematics, Law, Legislation); and
- the Section for Administrative and Commercial Action and Communication (Secretaryship and Office Automation, Communication and Management, Marketing, Home Economics, Catering and Tourism).
The Inspectorate of Pedagogy for Industrial Technical Education shall comprise:
- the Section for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering;
- the Section for Civil Engineering, Woodwork and Agricultural Techniques;
- the section for Industrial Chemistry and Biomedical Fields; and
- the section for Arts and Fashion.
THE CONTROL BRIGADE FOR PRIVATE SECONDARY EDUCATIONAL SCHOOLS
Under the authority of a Brigade Head, the Control Brigade for Private Secondary Educational school shall be responsible for the control of private secondary general, technical and teacher education schools and of the utilisation of State subventions and other sources of funding.
The control shall lead to the writing of at least one quarterly report to be forwarded to the hierarchy.
Besides the Brigade Head, it shall comprise 2 (two) Service controllers.